Wednesday, September 16, 2009

invincibility

They say you deliver the baby, the placenta, then your heart on your sleeve. Okay, I get that, never had a reason to question it or look any further into what may fall out next but, with a 6 and 8 year old, I have found something new which has been reborn.... my invincible side. Not the "Drink wine coolers and ice block on the golf course" invincible side but the, "so what if there have been mountain lion sightings on this trail, i need a run" sort of invincibility.


I was out running yesterday in an ipod induced cadence when I stopped in my tracks. There, on the trail in front of me, was a deer leg. Not a hoof print, or a bone... a leg. No head or body, just a leg. The splintered bone, hair and hoof. Testing my fear factor relentlessly. I looked around, no fresh blood, didn't smell too bad, I figure it must have happened a long time ago and was pretty safe to go on so... I kept running. UH-HUH, just decided to keep going further into the woods to see if I could be dessert.

Now, this seemed logical to me. What are the chances of being eaten by a mountain lion? I had a great run out and was on my way back when I realized what I was gambling on. Odds that I'd get eaten? I mean, I have 2 kids shouldn't I just make sure I am no where being eaten is an option? I forget sometimes that life isn't fair and that bad things happen to good people but, does that mean i have to run on a well lit treadmill in a gym with security guards all the time? i hope not. I picked the leg up to finish my run home...I thought my boys would think it was cool. About 1/4 mile later I figured, why temp fate and lure the sleeping lion down the trail to follow the stolen scent? (I hid it in the bushes to show the kids later) I made it home, Purelled my hands and called all my running girlfriends to warn them not to run alone. Of course you'll find me out there tomorrow but this time I am definitely bringing the dog. I may not be quick, but I do learn.

2 comments: