Tuesday, September 29, 2009

good enough

Does it make me a slacker if I just want to be "good enough"? I don't want to be PTA president, I don't want to do fundraisers, I want to buy out of the boyscout work option and go climbing instead. I want my kids to be happy, healthy and well adjusted. Does that mean I have to be happy, healthy and well adjusted? I hope not. Happy, sure. Healthy? I try. Well adjusted? Not even in the ball park. Sometimes I am sure that I am the only one dreading another day of motherhood. I go running not just for my health but for an escape, I can pretend I am the world's best runner and no one will be any wiser. Try and pretend I'm the world's best mom and I am shut down before breakfast.

So here is my confession.... my boys don't bathe every day, sometimes they have toaster waffles for breakfast, they will go to school in dirty sweatshirts and don't care if the socks have been worn twice before. I make up excuses as to why I can't do PTA things, I can't say "no", really, I can't. I don't mind when I smell after a run and mocking others sometimes makes me feel better about myself.

Wow! I feel great, maybe that is what will make me the perfect mom.. deciding that "good enough" is really as good as it gets, and to me, that sounds like "perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment