Tuesday, May 26, 2009

i am not alone

it has officially happened. I am not unique. I was sitting on the beach trying not to yell at my youngest for the 100th time that day and it happened. At first it wasn't clear, just faint voices in the background, then there was no mistaking it. I heard my own conversation, not my voice, other mothers, all over the beach..." Hunter, If you don't get back here right now.... I don't know who you think you are Mister... Fine Molly, if you want to get a sunburn...." I couldn't believe it, all the arguements that I thought were just mine alone actually belong to other people out there. and guess what? their arguements didn't end any better than mine did! Hunter ran off, Mister thought he was the center of the universe and Molly got the sunburn she was asking for. Their lives were just as miserable as mine for that brief minute. And you know what? It felt great. I looked at my boys who were not fighting at that EXACT moment and I thought.. "damn, i'm good, they aren't so bad, it could be worse, I could have those 2 daughters fighting down the way" I resolved to stop yelling and enjoy their youthful energy, that is until a sand castle got kicked over and I distinctly heard the word "butthead" uttered. Then, I saw the other mothers breathe a sigh of relief as I started in on yet another verse of, "If I have to tell you one more time..."

No comments:

Post a Comment