Sunday, May 10, 2009

i'm a fraud

I just realized that I may very well be a fraud. I am petrified that one of the runners in my life will find out i am not a "real" runner and then what will happen? what if one of the mom's from school realizes i am not all that great a mother? that is a lot of pressure.
I put in for the new york marathon lottery (again) and part of the form asks you what your last marathon time of the previous year is. holy crap, what a way to realize that a year has past and i haven't done one! what does that make me, a slacking runner? unmotivated? maybe, but i can live with it until it stares back at me from an entry form. none of my "mother" friends know what i am sacrificing to be in art class on a wednesday morning. they don't see the look of shame from my computer's face, judging my lack of commitment to the trail. they just see a good stay at home mom. but honestly, i am not. i am not good at staying at home. i am good at running from home, but according to the ING marathon form, I am not good at that either. maybe a better question would be... how long have you been THINKING about applying for this race? Have you been counting the hours, are you committed enough to give us your credit card? if the answer to the question is "yes" than feel free to skip the section that makes you feel like a fraud, running or not, someone, one day will figure out i am nothing i claim to be. except, i do plan on running about a 4:30 marathon, i'll hit the trails tomorrow, art class not withstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment